Chocolate Lovers Eclairs Recipe
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
- 2-1/2 cups cold milk
- 1 package (5.1 ounces) instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- CHOCOLATE ICING:
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 to 3 tablespoons hot water
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine butter and water. Bring to a rapid boil, stirring until the butter melts. Reduce heat to low; add flour and salt. Stir vigorously until mixture leaves the sides of the pan and forms a stiff ball. Remove from the heat. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- 2. With a tablespoon or a pastry tube fitting with a no. 10 or larger tip, spoon or pipe dough into 4-in.-long x 1-1/2-in.-wide strips on a greased baking sheet.
- 3. Bake at 450° for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 325° bake 20 minutes longer. Cool on a wire rack.
- 4. For filling, in a large bowl, whisk milk and pudding mix for 2 minutes. Let stand for 2 minutes or until soft-set. In another large bowl, whip cream until soft peaks form. Beat in sugar and vanilla; fold into pudding. Fill cooled shells. (Chill remaining pudding mixture for another use.)
- 5. For icing, melt chocolate and butter in a small saucepan over low heat. Stir in sugar. Add hot water until icing is smooth and reaches desired consistency. Cool slightly. Spread over eclairs. Chill until serving. Yield: 8-9 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 470 calories, 28 g fat (17 g saturated fat), 174 mg cholesterol, 492 mg sodium, 48 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 7 g protein.
Reviews for Chocolate Lovers Eclairs
"So, so good! I could barely keep my fingers out of the filling and the shells are so light. They are kind of messy when you eat them, so you might want to do so with a fork. So easy."
"DELECTABLE! The whole family practically begs me to make it at every holiday. A tad on the messy side, but still delicious."
"10 minutes before the eclairs are done. I remove the eclairs from the oven and cut a small slit in the top and place back into the oven and allow to cook at 250 degrees for an addition 10 minutes to dry the elair out inside. after the inside has dried out. I remove them from the oven and fill with a pudding mix (using a spoon). I then replace the top slit I removed. Then frost your eclairs and you will have people asking you how in the world did you get the pudding into the eclair."
"to all the cooks out there, who would like to make this recipe and don't own a pastry bag. I have made eclairs for 30 years. I spoon the dough on to my cookie sheet and use a knive to shape the dough into the size of a candy bar. Mine has always come out wonderful."
"This recipe was very easy to make and was very well liked by my whole family! Instead of using whipped, heavy whipping cream, I folded two cups of cool whip into the pudding and it still turned out really well!"