- 1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 eggs, separated
- 2 ounces German sweet chocolate, melted
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon plus 1/8 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 cup creme de cacao
- 1/2 cup ground almonds
- Grease and flour two 9-in. round baking pans; set aside. In a large bowl, beat 1 cup sugar, buttermilk, oil, egg yolks and melted chocolate until well blended. Combine the flour, 1/4 teaspoon salt and baking soda; gradually beat into sugar mixture until blended.
- In a large bowl with clean beaters, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff peaks form. Fold into batter.
- Transfer to prepared pans. Bake at 350° for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a large bowl, beat the cream, confectioners' sugar, cocoa, extract and remaining salt until stiff peaks form.
- Cut each cake horizontally into two layers; brush layers with cream de cacao. Place bottom layer on a serving plate; top with 1/2 cup frosting and sprinkle with 2 tablespoons almonds. Repeat layers twice. Top with remaining cake layer.
- Spread remaining frosting over top and sides of cake; sprinkle remaining almonds over the top. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Chocolate Lover's Delight Cake
"This was the best cake I have ever made, it was gone in lest then 30 min."
"This cake looked so perfect for a brithday party I was planning but mine came out flat. Was a big disappointment. Did I overmix or undermix? My family is a fan of reducing sugar, so I cut the sugar in the frosting to 4 tbsp. Cocoa at its best...with a hint of sweetness. Will probably not make this cake again :("
"I made this cake for a coworker/friend's birthday. It was wonderful. cake turned out nice and soft with a mild flavor. I didn't have creme de cocao so I used a mixture of Godiva Chocolate Liqueur and Chocolate Vodka. The birthday girl asked for the recipe so she can make the cake for her brother's birthday. Word of caution if your buttermilk is cold... mix the oil with the melted chocolate... then add that mixture to the sugar, eggs, and buttermilk."
"I was anxious to make this cake. I thought it sounded good and looked better. There was a little too much almond flavoring in it for my taste. I thought the batter tasted good before I cooked it, but once the frosting was on you couldn't even taste the cake. Overall, I would not make again. If you love almond flavoring, I'm sure you will love this cake."
"Is this recipe correct? It came out flat as a pancake when I tried to make it."
"I have made this several times now and everyone loves it. So worth every minute!!!"