Chocolate Lover's Cake Recipe
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3 cups sugar
- 6 eggs
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 2 cups (12 ounces each) semisweet chocolate chips
- 2/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 cup chopped almonds
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in extracts. Combine the flour, cocoa and baking soda; add to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream. Beat just until combined. Stir in chocolate chips.
- 2. Pour into a greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan. Bake at 325° for 75-90 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- 3. Combine the chocolate chips, cream and butter in a saucepan. Cook; stir over low heat until smooth. Cool slightly. Gradually whisk in confectioners' sugar. Stir in extract. Drizzle over cake. Sprinkle with almonds. Yield: 12 servings.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 803 calories, 40 g fat (23 g saturated fat), 180 mg cholesterol, 268 mg sodium, 107 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 10 g protein.
Reviews for Chocolate Lover's Cake
"I prepared this recipe for the first time. I also baked the cake for 1-1/4 hours and it tested as done! I did make adjustments on this recipe by using 1 tsp. baking soda and 1 tsp. salt.I kept the butter, sugar, eggs, almond and vanilla extracts the same. I also kept the amount of chocolate chips to use in the cake the same-I DID combine dark chocolate chips and regular semi-sweet chocolate chips with 1/8 cup all-purpose flour! When I prepared the glaze, I'd made a large amount of a chocolate glaze consisting of: 3/4 cup evaporated milk and 1-1/2 cups chocolate chips, then I measured out 1/3 cup of this chocolate glaze. I added: 1/4 cup margarine, 2 to 2-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar and 1/4 tsp. almond extract.I decided not to garnish the cake with almonds! I DID glaze the cake after I removed it from the pan-I cooled 15 minutes and ran a knife around edge to loosen cake. I then DID carefully apply the glaze to the cake, using one of those Wilton icing spreaders and the glaze adhered! This is a great recipe!Thank you so much for sharing this with Taste of Home!"
"Very delicious and rich. Came out of pan nicely and smelled heavenly while baking! I will definitely make again. Possibly putting chopped nuts in the batter! YUMMY!"
"A friend made this & took it to a Church supper, RAVE reviews!! I have not made it but plan to just as soon as I gather all the ingredients. She used sliced almonds, elegant!!"