Chocolate Lover's Cake Recipe
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3 cups sugar
- 6 eggs
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 2 cups (12 ounces each) semisweet chocolate chips
- 2/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 cup chopped almonds
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in extracts. Combine the flour, cocoa and baking soda; add to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream. Beat just until combined. Stir in chocolate chips.
- 2. Pour into a greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan. Bake at 325° for 75-90 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- 3. Combine the chocolate chips, cream and butter in a saucepan. Cook; stir over low heat until smooth. Cool slightly. Gradually whisk in confectioners' sugar. Stir in extract. Drizzle over cake. Sprinkle with almonds. Yield: 12 servings.
1 slice: 803 calories, 40g fat (23g saturated fat), 180mg cholesterol, 268mg sodium, 107g carbohydrate (81g sugars, 4g fiber), 10g protein.
Reviews for Chocolate Lover's Cake
"The flavor in this was good but I feel like the texture was a bit sponge-ier than I expected. I should have tossed the chips with flour like the other reviewer did; my chocolate chips clustered near the bottom area and caused the cake to break apart when I tried to remove it from the pan. The outside has a nice crunch to it, which I really liked. I still think this is a good cake, but I'd want to try to get the texture a little nicer. I just figured out that I left the cake on the counter too long while I waited for the oven to finish pre-heating. That may have caused it to be the gummy, sponge-y mess that I have now."
"Very delicious and rich. Came out of pan nicely and smelled heavenly while baking! I will definitely make again. Possibly putting chopped nuts in the batter! YUMMY!"
"A friend made this & took it to a Church supper, RAVE reviews!! I have not made it but plan to just as soon as I gather all the ingredients. She used sliced almonds, elegant!!"