"My aunt often made a sour cream pound cake," says Nancy Zimmerman of Cape May Court House, New Jersey. "I've added chips and the glaze."
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3 cups sugar
- 6 eggs
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 2 cups (12 ounces each) semisweet chocolate chips
- 2/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 cup chopped almonds
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in extracts. Combine the flour, cocoa and baking soda; add to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream. Beat just until combined. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Pour into a greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan. Bake at 325° for 75-90 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Combine the chocolate chips, cream and butter in a saucepan. Cook; stir over low heat until smooth. Cool slightly. Gradually whisk in confectioners' sugar. Stir in extract. Drizzle over cake. Sprinkle with almonds. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Chocolate Lover's Cake in Taste of Home February/March 2005, p50
Reviews for Chocolate Lover's Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review