A jazzed-up chocolate cake mix forms the layers that sandwich is a lemony cream cheese center in these bars shared by Renee Schwebach. "I took these treats to the office, and they were a big hit with my co-workers," she writes from Dumont, Minnesota.
- 1 package devil's food cake mix (regular size)
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 to 3 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- In a large bowl, beat the cake mix, butter and egg on low speed until combined. Stir in walnuts. Set aside 1 cup for topping. press the remaining mixture into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until set. Cool for 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese until smooth. Beat in the milk, egg, lemon juice and peel until blended. Pour over the crust. Crumble reserved cake mixture over the top.
- Bake for 18-22 minutes or until set. Cool completely before cutting. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 4 dozen.
Originally published as Chocolate Lemon Cream Bars in Quick Cooking May/June 2003, p47
Reviews for Chocolate Lemon Cream Bars
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review