- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, sugar and salt; cut in butter
- until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Combine water and vanilla;
- gradually add to crumb mixture, tossing with a fork until dough
- forms a ball.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/16-in. thickness.
- Cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. round cookie cutter. Place on ungreased
- baking sheets. Bake at 325° for 8-10 minutes or until set.
- Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
- For topping, in a small bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and
- fluffy. Beat in egg and oil. Combine the oats, flour, nuts, cocoa,
- baking powder and spices; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix
- well. Fold in candied peels.
- Drop a rounded tablespoonful of topping on each cookie; gently press
- down. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 325°
- for 13-16 minutes or until set. Remove from pans to wire racks to
- In a microwave-safe bowl, melt chocolate and butter; stir until
- smooth. Dip each cookie halfway in chocolate; allow excess to drip
- off. Place on waxed paper; let stand until set. Store in airtight
- containers. Yield: about 1-1/2 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 cookie equals 238 calories, 14 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 32 mg cholesterol, 122 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein.