Chocolate Layered Cake Recipe
You can "halve" your cake and eat it, too, when you make Verna Mae Floyd's chocolaty classic for two. "My mother came up with this delicious dessert after we kids left the nest," she explains from Highlands, Texas. "Today, I split this tempting two-layer treat with my husband."
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling YIELD:4 servings
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 to 3 tablespoons hot water
- 1. In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition.
- 2. Pour into a greased and floured 9-in. round baking pan. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool in pan for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
- 3. For frosting, in a small bowl, cream butter until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in the confectioners' sugar, cocoa, vanilla and enough water to achieve spreading consistency.
- 4. Cut cake horizontally into two layers. Place bottom layer on a serving plate; spread with 1/2 cup frosting. Top with remaining layer. Spread remaining frosting over top and sides of cake. Yield: 4 servings.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 1,005 calories, 39 g fat (19 g saturated fat), 121 mg cholesterol, 733 mg sodium, 160 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 10 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC