Chocolate Layered Cake Recipe
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 2 to 3 tablespoons hot water
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition.
- Pour into a greased and floured 9-in. round baking pan. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool in pan for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a small bowl, cream butter until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in the confectioners' sugar, cocoa, vanilla and enough water to achieve spreading consistency.
- Cut cake horizontally into two layers. Place bottom layer on a serving plate; spread with 1/2 cup frosting. Top with remaining layer. Spread remaining frosting over top and sides of cake. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews for Chocolate Layered Cake
Sort By :
"I tried this cake form a hard cover book Cooking for one or two and the amount of baking powder was 1 teaspoon and the baking soda was also 1 teaspoon and that didn't seem right. I have it right now."
"I used the cake recipe (doubled) in a shaped cake pan; I didn't make the frosting as I needed white to color. But this cake is amazing! Very moist and tender and cuts beautifully. I used soy milk because of a dairy allergy. This will be my go-to cake recipe for decorated cakes. I would also l like to try it with this frosting recipe."
"This cake and frosting is soooo good. You wont be disappointed!!!!"
"I made 2 9 inch rounds instead of cutting one in half. Was very good, icing is one of the best I have had yet that doesn't call for cream cheese or milk."
"This is a great recipe when a full size cake isn't needed. I baked mine in an 8" square pan & then cut in half & stacked to frost. The frosting recipe is a keeper. I used a bit of warmed milk instead of water though. Thanks for sharing this one with us!"