Chocolate Island Cookies Recipe
I've been making this recipe for about 35 years now, and it's still my family's all-time favorite cookie.
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
- 1/4 cup strong brewed coffee
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup flaked coconut
- 1-1/2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 1 to 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2/3 cup flaked coconut
- 1. In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg, chocolate and coffee. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition. Stir in coconut.
- 2. Drop by tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto greased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 12-15 minutes or until edges are browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- 3. For frosting, combine the chocolate, sour cream and butter in a small bowl until smooth. Add enough sugar to achieve spreading consistency. Frost cooled cookies. Sprinkle with coconut. Yield: about 4 dozen.
1 serving (2 each) equals 175 calories, 8 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 12 mg cholesterol, 56 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.
Reviews for Chocolate Island Cookies
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC