Chocolate Ice Cream Recipe
- 4 cups milk
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 2 cans (12 ounces each) evaporated milk
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1. In a large saucepan, heat milk to 175°; stir in the sugar, cocoa and flour until dissolved. Whisk a small amount of the hot mixture into the egg and egg yolks. Return all to the pan, whisking constantly. Cook and stir over low heat until mixture reaches at least 160° and coats the back of a metal spoon. Remove from the heat. Cool quickly by placing pan in a bowl of ice water; stir for 2 minutes. Stir in evaporated milk and vanilla. Press waxed paper onto surface of custard. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- 2. Fill cylinder of ice cream freezer two-thirds full; add enough milk to fill cylinder 3/4 full. freeze according to the manufacturer’s directions. Refrigerate remaining mixture until ready to freeze. When ice cream is frozen, transfer to a freezer container; freeze for 2-4 hours before serving. Yield: about 2-1/2 quarts.
1 serving (1/2 cup) equals 148 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 44 mg cholesterol, 44 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 4 g protein.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.