Chocolate Ice Cream Roll Recipe
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 3/4 cup sugar divided
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
- 1 quart cookies and cream ice cream, softened
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1. Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Line a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan with waxed paper; grease the paper and set aside.
- 2. In a large bowl, beat egg yolks, baking powder and salt until slightly thickened. Stir in extracts. Gradually add 1/2 cup sugar, beating on high speed until thick and lemon-colored. Sift flour and cocoa together twice; gradually add to yolk mixture and mix well (batter will be thick).
- 3. With clean beaters, beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff peaks form. Gradually fold into batter. Spread into prepared pan.
- 4. Bake at 375° for 10-12 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Cool for 5 minutes. Invert onto a kitchen towel dusted with confectioners’ sugar. Gently peel off waxed paper. Roll up cake in the towel jelly-roll style, starting with a short side. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- 5. Unroll cake; spread ice cream evenly over the cake to within 1 in. of edges. Roll up again. Cover and freeze until firm.
- 6. For frosting, in a large bowl, combine confectioners' sugar and cocoa; beat in the milk, butter and vanilla until smooth. Spread over cake roll. Cut into slices. Freeze leftovers. Yield: 10 servings.
1 slice: 377 calories, 13g fat (7g saturated fat), 118mg cholesterol, 226mg sodium, 62g carbohydrate (49g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Reviews for Chocolate Ice Cream Roll
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.