Chocolate Heart Cookies Recipe
For a dramatic presentation, I dust dessert plates with cocoa powder and drizzle on a bit of melted raspberry fruit spread. I place a couple of these melt-in-your-mouth cookies in the center, along with some fresh rasberries, lemon zest and a sprig of mint. -TerryAnn Moore Vineland, New Jersey
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1 cup vanilla or white chips
- 2 tablespoons shortening, divided
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1. In a small bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour and cocoa; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- 2. On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a 3-in. heart-shaped cookie cutter. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- 3. Bake at 375° for 8-10 minutes or until firm. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- 4. In a microwave, melt vanilla chips and 1 tablespoon shortening at 70% power for 1 minute; stir. Microwave at additional 10- to 20-second intervals, stirring until smooth.
- 5. Dip both sides of cookies into melted mixture; allow excess to drip off. Place on waxed paper; let stand until set.
- 6. In a microwave, melt the chocolate chips and remaining shortening; stir until smooth. Drizzle over the cookies. Place on wire racks to dry. Yield: about 2 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 188 calories, 12 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 22 mg cholesterol, 84 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC