Chocolate Heart Cookies Recipe
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1 cup vanilla or white chips
- 2 tablespoons shortening, divided
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- In a small bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour and cocoa; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a 3-in. heart-shaped cookie cutter. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake at 375° for 8-10 minutes or until firm. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- In a microwave, melt vanilla chips and 1 tablespoon shortening at 70% power for 1 minute; stir. Microwave at additional 10- to 20-second intervals, stirring until smooth.
- Dip both sides of cookies into melted mixture; allow excess to drip off. Place on waxed paper; let stand until set.
- In a microwave, melt the chocolate chips and remaining shortening; stir until smooth. Drizzle over the cookies. Place on wire racks to dry. Yield: about 2 dozen.
Reviews for Chocolate Heart Cookies
Sort By :
"These could be described as a chocolate shortbread cookie. I thought they were delicious. Very easy to make. I used white chocolate chips that were leftover from another recipe so I didn't have enough to dip both sides. I dipped one side in white chocolate and the other side in the chocolate chip & shortening mixture. If you do this I recommend dipping the white side first. The darker chocolate wants to melt some when dipped in to the warm white chocolate, leaving dark chocolate in the white chocolate. These sold very quickly at our bazaar."
"The turned out great! I brout them to my keepers group and got lots of comments! As long as you follow the recipe they should turn out great!"
"After reading the reviews, I just used a different chocolate cookie recipe that I was familiar with, decorated them as described. Very pretty."