Chocolate Hazelnut Torte Recipe
Most cake recipes feed a group. We came up with this six-serving cake. That's enough for two...with just the right amount of leftovers!—Taste of Home Test Kitchen
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 25 min. + cooling YIELD:6 servings
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup brewed coffee, room temperature
- 7 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/3 cup Nutella
- Chocolate curls and hazelnuts, optional
- 1. In a small bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream and coffee. Beat just until combined.
- 2. Pour into two greased and floured 6-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- 3. For frosting, in a small saucepan, melt chocolate with cream and sugar over low heat; stir until smooth. Remove from the heat; whisk in Nutella. Transfer to a small bowl; cover and refrigerate until frosting reaches spreading consistency, stirring occasionally.
- 4. Spread frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake. Garnish with chocolate curls and hazelnuts if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
1 slice (calculated without garnish) equals 768 calories, 45 g fat (25 g saturated fat), 130 mg cholesterol, 386 mg sodium, 89 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 9 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC