Most cake recipes feed a group. We came up with this six-serving cake. That's enough for two...with just the right amount of leftovers!—Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup brewed coffee, room temperature
- 7 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/3 cup Nutella
- Chocolate curls and hazelnuts, optional
- In a small bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream and coffee. Beat just until combined.
- Pour into two greased and floured 6-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a small saucepan, melt chocolate with cream and sugar over low heat; stir until smooth. Remove from the heat; whisk in Nutella. Transfer to a small bowl; cover and refrigerate until frosting reaches spreading consistency, stirring occasionally.
- Spread frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake. Garnish with chocolate curls and hazelnuts if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Chocolate Hazelnut Torte in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2008, p189
Reviews for Chocolate Hazelnut Torte
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Nov. 2, 2011
"Eexcellent moist cake. Pretty much the same as my original chocolate cake so family loved it."