Chocolate Hazelnut Gateau Recipe
Gateau (pronounces ga-tow) is the French word for any rich and fancy cake. I think you'll agree this dense chocolate dessert has just the right amount of sweetness. —Michelle Krzmarzick, Torrance, California
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling YIELD:12 servings
- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips, melted and cooled
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2/3 cup ground hazelnuts, toasted
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- Toasted slivered almonds and fresh mint leaves
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolks, melted chocolate and vanilla. Combine the flour and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition. Stir in the hazelnuts.
- 2. In a small bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; carefully fold into batter. Spread into a greased 9-in. springform pan. Place pan on a baking sheet.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on wire rack for 10 minutes. Carefully run a knife around edge of pan to loosen; remove sides of pan. Cool completely.
- 4. In a saucepan, bring the butter, corn syrup and water to a boil; stirring constantly. Remove from the heat. Add the chocolate chips; stir until smooth. Cool to room temperature. Spread over top and sides of gateau. Garnish with almonds and mint. Yield: 12 servings.
1 piece (calculated without almonds and mint leaves)equals)384 calories, 25 g fat (14 g saturated fat), 89 mg cholesterol, 256 mg sodium, 40 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC