Gateau (pronounces ga-tow) is the French word for any rich and fancy cake. I think you'll agree this dense chocolate dessert has just the right amount of sweetness. —Michelle Krzmarzick, Torrance, California
- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips, melted and cooled
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2/3 cup ground hazelnuts, toasted
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- Toasted slivered almonds and fresh mint leaves
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolks, melted chocolate and vanilla. Combine the flour and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition. Stir in the hazelnuts.
- In a small bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; carefully fold into batter. Spread into a greased 9-in. springform pan. Place pan on a baking sheet.
- Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on wire rack for 10 minutes. Carefully run a knife around edge of pan to loosen; remove sides of pan. Cool completely.
- In a saucepan, bring the butter, corn syrup and water to a boil; stirring constantly. Remove from the heat. Add the chocolate chips; stir until smooth. Cool to room temperature. Spread over top and sides of gateau. Garnish with almonds and mint. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Chocolate Hazelnut Gateau in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2004, p93
Reviews for Chocolate Hazelnut Gateau
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed May. 12, 2010
"I also made this with black walnuts. AWESOME. My family said to use the walnuts instead of the hazel nuts."
Reviewed Mar. 6, 2009
"I just needed a chocolate fix,I wanted somethig different. An this really fit the bill. Definatly will make again"