Chocoholic friends and family will know you fussed when they taste Mary Lou Wayman’s mini chocolate cream puffs filled with creamy, chocolate-hazelnut flavor. “These tiny treats are as pretty as a picture,” notes the Salt Lake City, Utah baker, “and worth every mouthwatering bite.”—Mary Lou Wayman, Salt Lake City, Utah
- 2 packages (3 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 4 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 2/3 cup Nutella
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup chopped hazelnuts or pecans, toasted
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
- Confectioners' sugar
- For filling, in a small bowl, beat cream cheese and 2 tablespoons sugar until smooth. Gradually beat in Nutella and cream until blended. Stir in nuts. Cover and refrigerate.
- In another bowl, combine the flour, cocoa and remaining sugar. In a large saucepan, bring water, butter and salt to a boil. Add flour mixture all at once and stir until a smooth ball forms. Remove from the heat; let stand for 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Continue beating until mixture is smooth and shiny.
- Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto greased baking sheets. Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until set and browned. Remove to wire racks. Immediately split puffs open; remove and discard soft dough from inside. Cool completely.
- Spoon filling into cream puffs; replace tops. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 2 dozen.
Originally published as Chocolate-Hazelnut Cream Puffs in Country Woman January/February 2006, p43
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Chocolate-Hazelnut Cream Puffs
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Feb. 15, 2011
"Recipe was requested the first time I tried it. Follow directions carefully"