Chocoholic friends and family will know you fussed when they taste Mary Lou Wayman’s mini chocolate cream puffs filled with creamy, chocolate-hazelnut flavor. “These tiny treats are as pretty as a picture,” notes the Salt Lake City, Utah baker, “and worth every mouthwatering bite.”—Mary Lou Wayman, Salt Lake City, Utah
- 2 packages (3 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 4 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 2/3 cup Nutella
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup chopped hazelnuts or pecans, toasted
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
- Confectioners' sugar
- For filling, in a small bowl, beat cream cheese and 2 tablespoons sugar until smooth. Gradually beat in Nutella and cream until blended. Stir in nuts. Cover and refrigerate.
- In another bowl, combine the flour, cocoa and remaining sugar. In a large saucepan, bring water, butter and salt to a boil. Add flour mixture all at once and stir until a smooth ball forms. Remove from the heat; let stand for 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Continue beating until mixture is smooth and shiny.
- Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto greased baking sheets. Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until set and browned. Remove to wire racks. Immediately split puffs open; remove and discard soft dough from inside. Cool completely.
- Spoon filling into cream puffs; replace tops. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 2 dozen.
Originally published as Chocolate-Hazelnut Cream Puffs in Country Woman January/February 2006, p43
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Chocolate-Hazelnut Cream Puffs
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Feb. 15, 2011
"Recipe was requested the first time I tried it. Follow directions carefully"