- 1 cup Guinness (dark beer)
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup baking cocoa
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- Grease a 9-in. springform pan and line the bottom with parchment paper; set aside.
- In a small saucepan, heat beer and butter until butter is melted. Remove from the heat; whisk in sugar and cocoa until blended. Combine the eggs, sour cream and vanilla; whisk into beer mixture. Combine flour and baking soda; whisk into beer mixture until smooth. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack. Remove sides of pan.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese until fluffy. Add confectioners’ sugar and cream; beat until smooth (do not over-beat). Remove cake from the pan and place on a platter or cake stand. Ice top of cake so that it resembles a frothy pint of beer. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Chocolate Guinness Cake
Sort By :
"Help! - I have made this twice following the recipe exactly and it falls in the middle each time. The cake is delicious but I can't serve it with the sunken middle. Any suggestions how to solve this problem? Thanks."
"One of the best, if not THE best chocolate cake I have ever had! Had a dinner party for 8 and everyone loved it! Served the leftovers at a tailgate the next day -- everyone loved it there as well!"
"This was great. It had a delicious chocolate taste that was really enhanced by the beer. I made it for a St Patricks day dinner and everyone loved it! To whiskeydrinkingcowgirl. A cake falls when the ingredients have not been mixed properly. I would make sure all the ingredients are well mixed."
"One of the best cakes I have ever made. And maybe the easiest recipes to follow (except the part about using a small saucepan - medium works better to handle all of the ingredients). I wouldn't change a thing about this recipe- it comes out great every time! And everyone loves it!!"
"What more needs be said, this cake was incredible!"