Because I have a dairy allergy, I'm always on the search for treats I can eat. I prepare these cupcakes with dairy-free chocolate chips and vanilla coconut milk instead of cream. —Kirstin Turner, Richlands, North Carolina
Featured In: 36 Allergy-Free Treats For Kids
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips, optional
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup half-and-half cream
- White nonpareils, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line 16 muffin cups with foil liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk the first five ingredients. In another bowl, whisk water, applesauce, oil, vinegar and vanilla until blended. Add to flour mixture; stir just until moistened. If desired, stir in chocolate chips.
- Fill prepared muffin cups three-fourths full. Bake 14-16 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks; cool completely.
- For glaze, in a small saucepan, combine chocolate chips and cream; cook and stir over low heat 3-5 minutes or until smooth. Remove from heat. Cool at room temperature until glaze is slightly thickened, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes. Dip tops of cupcakes into glaze. If desired, sprinkle with nonpareils. Yield: 16 cupcakes.
Originally published as Chocolate-Glazed Cupcakes in Healthy Cooking Annual Recipes Annual 2016, p219
Reviews for Chocolate-Glazed Cupcakes
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review