Chocolate-Glazed Coconut Almond Cheesecake Recipe
- 1-1/4 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1/3 cup flaked coconut
- 1/3 cup finely chopped almonds
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 3 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon coconut extract
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Toasted shaved coconut and chopped almonds, optional
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Place a greased 9-in. springform pan on a double thickness of heavy-duty foil (about 18 in. square). Securely wrap foil around pan.
- 2. In a small bowl, combine the cracker crumbs, coconut and almonds; stir in butter. Press onto the bottom and 1 in. up the sides of prepared pan. Place pan on a baking sheet. Bake 12 minutes. Cool on a wire rack. Reduce oven temperature to 325°.
- 3. In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Beat in coconut extract. Add eggs; beat on low speed just until combined. Fold in coconut. Pour into crust. Place springform pan in a large baking pan; add 1 in. of boiling water to larger pan.
- 4. Bake 45-55 minutes or until center is just set and top appears dull. Remove springform pan from water bath; remove foil. Cool cheesecake on a wire rack 10 minutes; loosen edges from pan with a knife. Cool 1 hour longer. Refrigerate overnight.
- 5. For glaze, place chocolate chips in a small bowl. In a small saucepan, bring cream just to a boil. Pour over chocolate; whisk until smooth. Stir in vanilla. Cool slightly to reach a spreading consistency, stirring occasionally.
- 6. Remove rim from pan. Spread glaze over cheesecake. Refrigerate 1 hour or until set. Top with toasted coconut and almonds if desired. Yield: 12 servings.
1 slice (calculated without coconut and almonds): 543 calories, 42g fat (25g saturated fat), 149mg cholesterol, 308mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (27g sugars, 2g fiber), 8g protein .
Reviews for Chocolate-Glazed Coconut Almond Cheesecake
"i was excited to make this think that it would taste like an almond joy candy bar. Was extremely disappointing. The crust had no flavor and the cheesecake part had little to no flavor of coconut. This cake was not sweet enough."
"I made this delicious dessert for a party and everyone was asking for the recipe! I added about 3/4 cup of miniature semi sweet morsels to the filling, to give it a bit of an extra treat. I would highly recommend this cheesecake to anyone! In fact, my neighbor has asked me to make this for her birthday."
"This was a hit at our annual Christmas party!"
"This sounds wonderful.... (to that end even though I haven't made it I'm confident it's wonderful and will rate it anyway) I'm curious from anyone who might be able to help - I'd love to make this in a 9 X 13 pan for coffee hour at church. I'm guessing the ingredients would work fine, just wondering about the baking time. Any help will be much appreciated. Thank you"
"I saw this in the magazine about a year ago and decided to make it for my mom for Mother's Day. She loved it! It wasn't too difficult to make and it really does resemble an almond joy!"
"GrannySmith123 ... Directions #2 says to mix the crumbs, coconut, almonds and butter. Then press in the bottom and up the sides to form the crust for the cheese cake. Hope this helps, you'll find making cheesecakes are really easy once you have one under your belt."
"Do you have a healthier version of this?"
"Haven't tried this yet but have to, very soon. It sounds wonderful. But I want to know, too, how to use it in the mini-muffin pan. That sounds like a fun thing!!"
"Have not tried yet--how do I use the crumbs, etc. in the mini muffin pan liners?"
"Nice and easy to make... but lacked flavor. Maybe add more extract?"
""This tastes just like an Almond Joy!" Those were the first words out of my mouth after taking my first bite. Really, the flavor was spot-on, and that's a very good thing in my books! I followed this recipe fairly closely, without adding or eliminating any ingredients. However, there are a few things I'd like to mention:Crust: used Honeymaid lowfat graham crackers, only because I actually prefer the flavor/texture over fullfat graham crackers. Also used 1/4 cup more crumbs than called for (what was left over after measuring the correct amount). Only baked for 10 minutes, as I have a dark non-stick pan (didn't change the temp at all).Filling: as always, I beat the cream cheese before adding the sugar. Making sure no lumps are anywhere to be found! :) Also used 2 lowfat + 1 fullfat cream cheese. Doing so hasn't ever affected my cheesecakes, nobody notices a difference, and it saves (a few) fat grams! Could only find imitation coconut extract, but it worked beautifully.Glaze: halved the amount and used half 'n' half in place of the heavy whipping cream. Half the amount seemed plenty; can't imagine using more! Also used Ghirardelli 60% bittersweet chocolate chips. Topped with lightly toasted coconut, chilled 1 hour, and that was that! Oh.........I always chill my cheesecakes 40-48 hours before tasting.......let flavors meld on 'ripen'. :) An excellent cheesecake recipe, one of my new favorites!"
"I made this for a party and everyone loved it!"
"I was excited to make this but was very disappointed at how unsweet it was. There is no sugar in the crust and only 3/4 cup in the filling. That is significantly less sugar than most cheesecakes. I still decided to try it as written. Everyone liked the texture but commented that it could be sweeter. I think I will try it again but I will either add about 1/3 cup cream of coconut or 1 cup of sugar in the filling instead of 3/4 cup. Heck, I might even try both! I will also use milk chocolate chips for the top since semi-sweet is more like a mounds and not an almond joy."
"All I can say is HOLY COW is this good !! I only had chocolate graham crackers & I think that they were perfect. Made the recipe as written, used a med. size oven cooking bag around the springform pan because it seem's like when I use the foil it always leask' a bit and with the bag there are no problem's. I can't wait for more company so I can make this again. Thank you Keri Brammer, I think you should have won first place !!"
"BEST CHEESECAKE RECIPE EVER!!!! Super easy to make - I took the liberty of modifying it a bit by purchasing a chocolate Keebler pre-made pie crust & omitting the nuts - & the taste & texture are to die for! It was like biting into an Mounds Bar! When my husband asked me what I was eating I simply replied "heaven"......."
"I made this cheesecake last night and was blown away at how good it is. Even my picky husband liked it. I'm emailing the recipe to my family so they can try it too."