With a moist almond filling and a flaky golden crust, these bars are sure to be the perfect dessert for a garden get-together. —Robin Hart North Brunswick, New Jersey
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- 3 egg whites
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 can (12-1/2 ounces) almond cake and pastry filling
- 2 cups sliced almonds
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Pat into a 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 18-22 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk the egg whites, sugar and almond filling until blended. Stir in almonds. Pour over crust. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until set. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- In a microwave, melt chocolate; stir until smooth. Drizzle over top. Let stand until set. Cut into bars. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Yield: 40 bars.
Originally published as Chocolate-Glazed Almond Bars in Taste of Home April/May 2008, p23
Reviews for Chocolate-Glazed Almond Bars
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review