- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 5 slices fresh gingerroot (1/8-inch thick)
- 1-1/2 cups dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1 cup hot water
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 package (12 ounces) dark chocolate chips
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 6 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup brickle toffee bits
- In a small heavy saucepan, heat cream and ginger until bubbles form around sides of pan. Remove from the heat; let cool slightly. Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- In a microwave, melt chocolate; stir until smooth. Set aside. In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until blended. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in melted chocolate and vanilla. Combine the flour, ginger, cinnamon, salt, allspice and nutmeg; add to the creamed mixture alternately with sour cream, beating well after each addition.
- In a small bowl, combine the hot water, molasses and baking soda (mixture will foam); beat into batter. Transfer to three greased and floured 8-in. round baking pans.
- Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, for ganache, place chocolate and salt in a double boiler or metal bowl over simmering water; cook and stir for 2-3 minutes or until melted. Stir in condensed milk until smooth. Remove from the heat; stir in butter and vanilla until butter is melted.
- Cool, stirring occasionally, to room temperature or until ganache reaches a spreading consistency, about 45 minutes. Add cream; beat chocolate mixture until smooth, about 2-3 minutes.
- Strain ginger-cream mixture, discarding ginger slices. In a large bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add confectioners' sugar; beat until stiff peaks form.
- To assemble, place one cake layer on a serving plate; spread with half the ganache. Sprinkle with half of the toffee bits. Repeat layers once. Top with remaining cake layer; spread ginger whipped cream over top and sides of cake. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Store leftovers in the refrigerator. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Chocolate Gingerbread Toffee Cake with Ginger Whipped Cream in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2013, p56
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Chocolate Gingerbread Toffee Cake with Ginger Whipped Cream
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review