Chocolate Gingerbread Cookies Recipe
My mother Esther created this recipe, and I've been making the cookies in her honor every Christmas since then. People can't get enough of the molasses and chocolate flavor combination.—Karen Sue Garback-Pristera, Albany, New York
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 40 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling YIELD:36 servings
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons plus 1-1/2 teaspoons baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Icing and decorations of your choice
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and molasses. Combine flour, cocoa, baking soda, cinnamon, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- 2. Preheat oven to 350°. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 3-1/2-in. gingerbread boy cookie cutter; place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Repeat with remaining dough; chill and reroll scraps.
- 3. Bake 6-8 minutes or until edges are firm. Remove to wire racks to cool. Ice and decorate as desired. Yield: 3 dozen.
1 cookie equals 92 calories, 3 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 13 mg cholesterol, 95 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fat.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC