Indulge in a dark, decadent cake that showcases the flavors of the holiday season. I stir fresh ginger into the batter and sprinkle chopped crystallized ginger over the velvety ganache. —Amber Evans, Beaverton, Oregon
Recommended: 78 Christmas Potluck Desserts for 12 or More
- 6 ounces milk chocolate, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1 cup molasses
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3 tablespoons grated fresh gingerroot
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg yolks
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped crystallized ginger
- Vanilla ice cream or sweetened whipped cream, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease a 9-in. springform pan. Place on a baking sheet.
- Place milk chocolate in a small bowl. In another bowl, whisk flour, cocoa, cinnamon, salt and cloves; add 1 tablespoon flour mixture to milk chocolate and toss to coat.
- In a large bowl, beat oil, molasses and sugar until blended. In a small saucepan, bring water to a boil; stir in baking soda until dissolved, then ginger. Add to oil mixture; beat until blended. Gradually add remaining flour mixture, beating on low speed just until moistened. In a small bowl, lightly beat eggs and egg yolks; stir into batter until combined.
- Fold in milk chocolate. Transfer to prepared pan. Bake 40-50 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack 30 minutes.
- Loosen sides from pan with a knife; remove rim from pan. Cool cake completely on wire rack.
- For ganache, place chocolate in a small bowl. In a small saucepan, bring cream just to a boil. Pour over chocolate; let stand 2 minutes. Stir with a whisk until smooth; cool slightly, stirring occasionally. Pour over cake; sprinkle with crystallized ginger. If desired, serve with ice cream. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Chocolate Ginger Cake in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2015, p132
Reviews for Chocolate Ginger Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review