Chocolate Ganache Peanut Butter Cupcakes Recipe
- 2 cups sugar
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup strong brewed coffee, room temperature
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 to 4 tablespoons 2% milk
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- PEANUT BUTTER FROSTING:
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 4 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups unsalted butter, softened
- 1/3 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, combine first six ingredients. Whisk buttermilk, coffee, oil, eggs and vanilla until blended; add to the dry ingredients until combined. (Batter will be very thin.) Fill paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full.
- 2. Bake 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- 3. In a small bowl, cream peanut butter, butter, confectioners' sugar and enough milk to achieve piping consistency. Cut a small hole in the corner of a pastry or plastic bag; insert a small round tip. Fill with peanut butter filling. Insert tip into the top center of each cupcake; pipe about 1 tablespoon filling into each.
- 4. Place chocolate chips in a small bowl. In a small saucepan, bring cream just to a boil. Pour over chocolate; whisk until smooth. Dip the top of each cupcake into ganache; place on wire racks to set.
- 5. In a large heavy saucepan, combine brown sugar, egg whites, salt and cream of tartar over low heat. With a hand mixer, beat on low speed 1 minute. Continue beating on low over low heat until frosting reaches 160°, about 8-10 minutes. Pour into a large bowl; add vanilla. Beat on high until stiff peaks form, about 5 minutes.
- 6. Add butter, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating well after each addition. If mixture begins to look curdled, place frosting bowl in another bowl filled with hot water for a few seconds. Continue adding butter and beating until smooth. Beat in peanut butter 1-2 minutes or until smooth.
- 7. Place frosting in a pastry or plastic bag with large star tip; pipe onto each cupcake. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Let stand at room temperature before serving. Yield: 2 dozen.
Reviews for Chocolate Ganache Peanut Butter Cupcakes
"These turned out beautifully! They were worth the extra effort!"
"Awesome!! These are the best cupcake I've ever made. Everyone loved them. I used a different peanut butter frosting recipe because of time constraints and used chocolate curls."
"These are the best cupcakes I've ever eaten! Everyone asks for the recipe. I made one change: instead of the shaved chocolate pictured on top of the frosting, I add toasted pecans made by drizzling chopped or halved nuts with Oliverde Mushroom Sage Olive Oil, a packet of Splenda/Stevia, a bit of salt, and toasted in oven for 10 minutes (put in at same time that you are baking cupcakes). I also have used regular chocolate cake mix instead of this recipe, but substituting buttermilk and strong coffee for the water the box mix called for - it turned out pretty good too. The filling, ganache, frosting, and nuts on top make a regular box mix something special."