- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla; beat for 2 minutes. Combine buttermilk and sour cream. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk mixture, beating well after each addition.
- Pour into two greased and waxed paper-lined 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a heavy saucepan, melt chocolate with cream over low heat. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla. Transfer to a small mixing bowl; chill until slightly thickened, stirring occasionally. Beat on medium speed until light and fluffy. Chill until mixture achieves spreading consistency.
- For ganache, in a heavy saucepan, melt chocolate and butter. Gradually add cream; heat until just warmed. Chill until slightly thickened.
- Place one cake layer on a serving plate; spread with filling. Top with remaining cake layer. Slowly pour ganache over top of cake. Refrigerate until serving. Yield: 12-14 servings.
Reviews for Chocolate Ganache Cake
"I made this exactly as directed-first off the filling is the best part! This is a very dense cake almost brownie like. I might prefer the ganache be made out of a bittersweet chocolate instead of a semisweet. Will make a few adjustments next time."
"The preparation takes a bit of time but it is worth it. This is the perfect cake for chocolate lovers."
"Can I use unsweetened cocoa powder instead of baking cocoa?"