Chocolate Fudge Brownies
"My children always looked forward to these after-school snacks," recalls Hazel Fritchie of Palestine, Illinois. "They're so fudgy they don't need icing."
16 ServingsPrep: 15 min. + cooling Bake: 45 min. + cooling
- 1 cup butter
- 6 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 2 cups chopped walnuts
- Confectioners' sugar, optional
- In a small saucepan, melt butter and chocolate over low heat; cool
- for 10 minutes. In a large bowl, beat the eggs, sugar, vanilla and
- salt. Stir in the chocolate mixture. Add flour and nuts; mix well.
- Pour into a greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish. Bake at 325° for
- 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes
- out with moist crumbs. Cool on a wire rack. Dust with confectioners'
- sugar if desired. Cut into bars. Yield: 16 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 349 calories, 23 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 84 mg cholesterol, 206 mg sodium, 34 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 6 g protein.