- 1 cup butter, cubed
- 6 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chopped walnuts
- Confectioners' sugar, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a small saucepan, melt butter and chocolate over low heat. Cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs, sugar, vanilla and salt until blended. Stir in chocolate mixture. Add flour, mixing well. Stir in walnuts.
- Spread into a greased 9-in. square baking pan. Bake 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out with moist crumbs (do not overbake).
- Cool completely in pan on a wire rack. If desired, dust with confectioners' sugar. Cut into bars. Yield: 16 servings.
Reviews for Chocolate Fudge Brownies
"These were FABULOUS!! My husband is a baker's son and is constantly talking about how he misses the things his dad used to make in his bakery. He said these brownies were just like his dad's. Needless to say - very happy hubby! Based on reviews, I used half the walnuts and added about 1/2 c. of mini chocolate chips. So good!! I think I would also like to try them with peanut butter chips mixed in. I will definitely be making these again. (and again, and again...)"
"These were very thick and fudgy! Great recipe!"
"Wow! These are so good! My husband and I call them "dangerous brownies"! I was careful not to overbake and they are so rich, chocolatey and fudgey! I, too, just used half the walnuts and that was plenty for us. This will be my "go-to" brownie recipe now for sure!"
"great also in a 9x13 pan"
"I've pretty much given up on box mixes after making this because it's so yummy and versatile! I do lower the amount of sugar, though, because I actually found 2 cups to be too sweet, even using unsweetened chocolate. I usually use 1/ 1/4- 1 1/2 cups of sugar instead and that's way better. Kids love this as well!"
"Awesome, gooey goodness."
"not sweet enough, the unsweetened chocolate was really bitter. A huge disappointment unfortunately"
"When I have tried other homemade brownie recipes, they always disappoint and I always default back to boxed mixes. This recipe is the exception! So yummy! I didn't use 2 full cups of walnuts...instead I did half walnuts & half chocolate chips.~ Theresa"
"definately not 45-50 minutes in my oven at 325... more like 1 hr and 20 minutes.. pls anyone who has made these make a comment about the cooking time.."