Chocolate-Frosted Heart Cookies Recipe
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 4 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 ounces white baking chocolate, chopped
- Chocolate, red and pink sprinkles
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg, orange peel and vanilla. Combine flour and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- 2. Divide dough in half. Shape into a ball, then flatten into a disk. Wrap each in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour or until firm.
- 3. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 3-in. heart-shaped cookie cutter. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 325° for 13-15 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- 4. In a microwave, melt chocolate chips; stir until smooth. Repeat with white chocolate. Frost half of the cookies with semisweet chocolate and the remaining half with white chocolate. Immediately decorate as desired with sprinkles. Let stand until set. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 3 dozen.
1 cookie equals 86 calories, 5 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 16 mg cholesterol, 80 mg sodium, 10 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 fat, 1/2 starch.
Reviews for Chocolate-Frosted Heart Cookies
"Like chocolate on a slightly orange flavored cracker."