Chocolate-Frosted Eclairs Recipe
For an old-fashioned treat that two can even prepare together, try these pretty eclairs, created by our Test Kitchen. The tender pastry shells, thick and creamy vanilla filling and rich chocolate frosting make them special.
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Dash salt
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 egg
- 2 snack-size cups (3-1/2 ounces each) vanilla pudding
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 ounce semisweet chocolate
- 1-1/2 teaspoons butter
- 1/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 to 2 teaspoons water
- 1. In a small saucepan, bring water, butter and salt to a boil. Add flour all at once and stir until a smooth ball forms. Remove from the heat; let stand for 5 minutes. Add egg; beat well until dough is smooth and shiny.
- 2. Using a tablespoon or a pastry tube with a #10 or larger tip, form dough into two 5-in. x 2-in. strips on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake at 400° for 30-35 minutes or until puffed and golden. Remove to a wire rack. Immediately cut a slit in eclairs to allow steam to escape.
- 3. Place pudding in a small bowl; set aside. In a small bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add confectioners' sugar and vanilla; beat until stiff peaks form. Fold into pudding. Split eclairs; remove soft dough from inside. Fill with pudding mixture.
- 4. For frosting, place chocolate and butter in a microwave-safe bowl. Cover and microwave at 50% power for 30 seconds; stir. Microwave 15-20 seconds longer or until melted. Stir in confectioners' sugar and enough water to achieve a smooth consistency. Frost eclairs. Serve immediately. Yield: 2 servings.
1 eclair equals 692 calories, 44 g fat (26 g saturated fat), 226 mg cholesterol, 422 mg sodium, 65 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 8 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC