Chocolate French Toast Recipe
Try this yummy treat for a special breakfast or brunch. The layer of chocolate hidden inside makes a wonderful flavor combination that appeals to kids of all ages. You might even be tempted to serve this chocolate sandwich for dessert! —Pat Habiger Spearville, Kansas
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 12 slices day-old bread, crusts removed
- 3 milk chocolate candy bars (1.55 ounces each), halved
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Confectioners' sugar
- 1. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, sugar, vanilla and salt. Pour half into an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Arrange six slices of bread in a single layer over egg mixture. Place one piece of chocolate in the center of each piece of bread. Top with remaining bread; pour remaining egg mixture over all. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- 2. In a large nonstick skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Toast sandwiches until golden brown on both sides. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Cut sandwiches diagonally; serve warm. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving (calculated without confectioners' sugar) equals 348 calories, 16 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 125 mg cholesterol, 534 mg sodium, 41 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 10 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC