"These lovely delicate meringue shells are easy to make, and their crisp texture is a perfect complement to the creamy chocolate filling," says Mary Lou Wayman from Salt Lake City, Utah.
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Dash salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1 cup whipped topping
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen sweetened sliced strawberries, thawed
- Place egg whites in a small bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Add the cream of tartar, vanilla and salt; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff peaks form and sugar is dissolved.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Spoon meringue into six mounds on paper. Using the back of a spoon, shape into 3-in. cups. Bake at 300° for 35 minutes. Turn off oven and do not open door; let meringues dry for 1 hour. Cool on a wire rack.
- For filling, in a bowl, beat cream cheese, confectioners' sugar and cocoa until smooth and fluffy. Fold in whipped topping. Process the strawberries in a blender or food processor until pureed. To serve, spoon filling into meringue shells. Top with strawberry sauce. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Chocolate-Filled Meringues in Taste of Home April/May 2002, p65
Reviews for Chocolate-Filled Meringues
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review