Chocolate-Filled Cream Puffs with Hot Fudge Sauce Recipe
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 large eggs
- CHOCOLATE CREAM FILLING:
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 5 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 2 large egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Hot fudge ice cream topping and citrus sugar, white chocolate shavings or confectioners' sugar, optional
- 1. In a large saucepan, bring water and butter to a boil. Add flour all at once and stir until a smooth ball forms. Remove from the heat; let stand for 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Continue beating until mixture is smooth and shiny.
- 2. Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls 3 in. apart onto greased baking sheets. Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks. Immediately split puffs open; remove tops and set aside. Discard soft dough from inside. Cool puffs.
- 3. For filling, in a large heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, cocoa, cornstarch and salt. Stir in milk until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat to low; cook and stir 2 minutes longer.
- 4. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Gently stir in butter and vanilla. Cover with waxed paper or plastic wrap. Cool for 15 minutes, without stirring.
To serve, spoon chocolate cream filling into cream puffs; replace tops. Top with warmed hot fudge sauce and citrus sugar, white chocolate shavings or confectioners' sugar if desired.
Freeze option: Freeze cream puffs in airtight containers for up to 2 months. Thaw at room temperature for 10 minutes. Place cream puffs on a baking sheet. Bake at 375° for 3-4 minutes or until crisp. Yield: 3 dozen.
1 cream puff (calculated without toppings) equals 76 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 43 mg cholesterol, 68 mg sodium, 9 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 2 g protein.
Reviews for Chocolate-Filled Cream Puffs with Hot Fudge Sauce
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.