Chocolate-Filled Cream Puffs with Hot Fudge Sauce Recipe
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 eggs
- CHOCOLATE CREAM FILLING:
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 5 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 2 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Hot fudge ice cream topping and citrus sugar, white chocolate shavings or confectioners' sugar, optional
- 1. In a large saucepan, bring water and butter to a boil. Add flour all at once and stir until a smooth ball forms. Remove from the heat; let stand for 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Continue beating until mixture is smooth and shiny.
- 2. Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls 3 in. apart onto greased baking sheets. Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks. Immediately split puffs open; remove tops and set aside. Discard soft dough from inside. Cool puffs. Freeze in airtight containers for up to 2 months.
- 3. To use frozen cream puffs: Thaw at room temperature for 10 minutes. Place cream puffs on a baking sheet. Bake at 375° for 3-4 minutes or until crisp.
- 4. For filling, in a large heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, cocoa, cornstarch and salt. Stir in milk until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat to low; cook and stir 2 minutes longer.
- 5. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Gently stir in butter and vanilla. Cover with waxed paper or plastic wrap. Cool for 15 minutes, without stirring.
- 6. To serve, spoon chocolate cream filling into cream puffs; replace tops. Top with warmed hot fudge sauce and citrus sugar, white chocolate shavings or confectioners' sugar if desired. Yield: 3 dozen.
1 cream puff (calculated without toppings) equals 76 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 43 mg cholesterol, 68 mg sodium, 9 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 2 g protein.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.