- set aside. Discard soft dough from inside. Cool puffs. Freeze in
- airtight containers for up to 2 months.
- To use frozen cream puffs: Thaw at room temperature for 10 minutes.
- Place cream puffs on a baking sheet. Bake at 375° for 3-4
- minutes or until crisp.
- For filling, in a large heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, cocoa,
- cornstarch and salt. Stir in milk until smooth. Cook and stir over
- medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat to low;
- cook and stir 2 minutes longer.
- Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot mixture into egg
- yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle
- boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Gently
- stir in butter and vanilla. Cover with waxed paper or plastic wrap.
- Cool for 15 minutes, without stirring.
- To serve, spoon chocolate cream filling into cream puffs; replace
- tops. Top with warmed hot fudge sauce and citrus sugar, white
- chocolate shavings or confectioners' sugar if desired. Yield: 3
Editor's Note: Citrus sugar can be made by pressing grated citrus peels into sugar to release their oils. Store citrus sugar in an airtight container at room temperature for 2-3 weeks or until the flavor diminishes.
Nutritional Facts: 1 cream puff (calculated without toppings) equals 76 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 43 mg cholesterol, 68 mg sodium, 9 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 2 g protein.
Wine: Sweet White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.