Baking is one of the things I enjoy most about Christmas. These special cookies draw you in with candy-topped frosting and seal the deal with a chocolate center. —Deborah Puette, Lilburn, GA
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 milk chocolate candy bars (1.55 ounces each)
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 3 to 4 tablespoons evaporated milk
- 24 miniature candy canes, crushed
- Cream shortening and granulated sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; gradually beat into creamed mixture.
- Divide dough in half. Shape each into a disk; wrap in plastic. Refrigerate until firm enough to roll, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Break each candy bar into 12 pieces. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion of dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2-in. square cookie cutter. Place half of squares 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Place a chocolate piece in the center of each square; cover with remaining squares, pressing edges to seal.
- Bake until edges are golden brown, 9-11 minutes. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, combine confectioners’ sugar, butter, extract and enough milk to reach a spreading consistency. Spread over cookies; sprinkle with candies.
- To make ahead: Dough can be made 2 days in advance. Wrap in plastic and place in a resealable bag. Refrigerate.
- Freeze option: Place wrapped dough in resealable plastic freezer bag and freeze. If necessary, let dough stand 15 minutes at room temperature before cutting. Prepare and bake cookies as directed. Iced cookies can be frozen up to 1 month. Yield: 2 dozen.
Originally published as Chocolate-Filled Cookies with Peppermint Frosting in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2016, p153
Reviews for Chocolate-Filled Cookies with Peppermint Frosting
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review