Chocolate Espresso-Nut Torte Recipe
I love chocolate and nuts, and they come together deliciously in this torte. Serve it with sweetened whipped cream or your favorite ice cream. —Thomas Faglon, Somerset, New Jersey
- 5 eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon baking cocoa
- 1 cup hazelnuts, toasted and skins removed
- 3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, melted and cooled
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso powder
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup finely chopped almonds, toasted
- 1. Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Line the bottom of a greased 9-in springform pan with waxed paper; grease the paper and dust with cocoa. Set aside.
- 2. Place hazelnuts and brown sugar in a food processor; cover and process until ground. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the melted chocolate, espresso powder, extract and salt. Gradually add hazelnut mixture.
- 3. In a large bowl with clean beaters, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold into batter. Spread into prepared pan. Place pan on a baking sheet.
- 4. Bake at 375° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out with a few moist crumbs. Cool on a wire rack to room temperature. Remove sides of pan and invert onto a serving plate.
- 5. Place chocolate in a small bowl. In a small saucepan, bring cream just to a boil. Pour over chocolate; whisk until smooth. Cool, stirring occasionally, to room temperature or until ganache reaches a spreading consistency, about 30 minutes.
- 6. Spread ganache over top and sides of cake; press almonds onto sides. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes or until set. Yield: 14 servings.
1 slice equals 387 calories, 32 g fat (13 g saturated fat), 104 mg cholesterol, 118 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 7 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC