- 1 cup sweetened whipped cream
- Coat a 9-in. round baking pan with cooking spray and sprinkle with
- flour. In a large bowl, beat the eggs, egg whites, buttermilk,
- coffee, oil and vanilla until well blended. Combine the flour,
- cocoa, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt; gradually
- beat into egg mixture until blended.
- Transfer to prepared pan. Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until
- a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10
- minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Cool completely.
- In a large saucepan, combine the cherry juice, wine, dried cherries,
- honey and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for
- 8-11 minutes or until liquid is reduced by half. Stir in dark
- cherries; cook and stir for 2 minutes.
- Combine cornstarch and water; whisk into cherry mixture. Cook and
- stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir
- in extract. Cool.
- Serve cake with cherry topping; garnish with whipped cream. Yield: 14
Nutritional Facts: 1 slice with 2 tablespoons topping and 1 tablespoon whipped cream equals 213 calories, 8 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 42 mg cholesterol, 153 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1-1/2 fat.