Chocolate Espresso Cake Recipe
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup strong brewed coffee
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- CHERRY TOPPING:
- 1/2 cup cherry juice blend
- 1/2 cup port wine or additional cherry juice blend
- 2/3 cup dried tart cherries
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Dash salt
- 1 package (12 ounces) frozen pitted dark sweet cherries, thawed and halved
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup sweetened whipped cream
- 1. Coat a 9-in. round baking pan with cooking spray and sprinkle with flour. In a large bowl, beat the eggs, egg whites, buttermilk, coffee, oil and vanilla until well blended. Combine the flour, cocoa, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt; gradually beat into egg mixture until blended.
- 2. Transfer to prepared pan. Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Cool completely.
- 3. In a large saucepan, combine the cherry juice, wine, dried cherries, honey and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 8-11 minutes or until liquid is reduced by half. Stir in dark cherries; cook and stir for 2 minutes.
- 4. Combine cornstarch and water; whisk into cherry mixture. Cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in extract. Cool.
- 5. Serve cake with cherry topping; garnish with whipped cream. Yield: 14 servings.
1 slice with 2 tablespoons topping and 1 tablespoon whipped cream equals 213 calories, 8 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 42 mg cholesterol, 153 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1-1/2 fat.