You can have your cake and eat it too with this lower-in-calorie, decadent cake. This single layer, rich chocolate cake is draped with a fantastic cherry sauce. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup strong brewed coffee
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- CHERRY TOPPING:
- 1/2 cup cherry juice blend
- 1/2 cup port wine or additional cherry juice blend
- 2/3 cup dried tart cherries
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Dash salt
- 1 package (12 ounces) frozen pitted dark sweet cherries, thawed and halved
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup sweetened whipped cream
- Coat a 9-in. round baking pan with cooking spray and sprinkle with flour. In a large bowl, beat the eggs, egg whites, buttermilk, coffee, oil and vanilla until well blended. Combine the flour, cocoa, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt; gradually beat into egg mixture until blended.
- Transfer to prepared pan. Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Cool completely.
- In a large saucepan, combine the cherry juice, wine, dried cherries, honey and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 8-11 minutes or until liquid is reduced by half. Add the dark cherries; cook and stir for 2 minutes.
- Combine cornstarch and water; whisk into cherry mixture. Cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in extract. Cool.
- Serve cake with cherry topping; garnish with whipped cream. Yield: 14 servings.
Originally published as Chocolate Espresso Cake in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2011, p89
Reviews for Chocolate Espresso Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review