- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 large eggs
- 2-1/2 cups cold milk
- 1 package (5.1 ounces) instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1-1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 to 3 tablespoons hot water
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a large saucepan, bring water, butter and salt to a boil. Add flour all at once and stir until a smooth ball forms. Remove from heat; let stand 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Continue beating until mixture is smooth and shiny.
- Using a tablespoon or a pastry tube with a No. 10 or large tip, form dough into 4x1-1/2-in. strips on a greased baking sheet. Bake 35-40 minutes or until puffed and golden. Remove to a wire rack. Immediately split eclairs open; remove tops and set aside. Discard soft dough from inside. Cool eclairs.
- In a large bowl, beat milk and pudding mix according to package directions. In another bowl, whip cream until soft peaks form. Beat in sugar and vanilla; fold into pudding. Fill eclairs (chill any remaining filling for another use).
- For frosting, in a microwave, melt chocolate and butter; stir until smooth. Stir in sugar and enough hot water to achieve a smooth consistency. Cool slightly. Frost eclairs. Store in refrigerator. Yield: 9 servings.
Reviews for Chocolate Eclairs
"Hi Anne Oakes!You have to be sure to really beat this dough thoroughly after each egg. Doing so helps to ensure the finished product will rise properly."
"This was my first time working with pate a choux, and I feel like this recipe is not built for beginners. We followed the dough recipe exactly, and the eclairs did not rise."
"Everyone LOVES these eclairs"
""Its like biting into a cloud!", they said. These are so light and fluffy and wonderful, and easy to make!"
"Excellent! These always get positive reviews. I would recommend that you be sparing with the shell when you put it on the baking sheet as the dough will expand enormously in the oven. These are just fabulous!"
"I made these for my husband on Valentine's Day. They taste great and are really easy to make! Thanks for the recipe. I will make them again and again!"
"I made these after seeing them made at a Taste of Home Cooking show. It was alot easier than I thought it would be to make and my husband has been nagging me to make them again! I didn't split them but poked a hole in the end and squirted the filling in. I used a ziplock bag to squirt out the dough to back and another one to fill the eclairs after they baked. I didn't put a pastry tip or anything on the bag either."
"These are absolutely delicious. It's a lot easier than I thought it would be and they always turn out perfect."
"The Eclairs was very good. The only adjustment I made was to cut a small slit in the top and placed back into the over at 250 degree for an addition 10 minutes to dry the inside out."
"Worth the effort! My brother insists I have these whenever he comes over."