Chocolate Eclair Dessert Recipe
"My father, who's diabetic, loves chocolate and baked goods," explains Owen Jack Hiatt of Colorado Springs, Colorado. "Our whole family can enjoy this beautiful mouthwatering dessert."—Owen Jack Hiatt, Colorado Springs, Colorado
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling YIELD:15 servings
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 eggs
- 1 package (1.5 ounces) instant sugar-free vanilla pudding mix
- 2-3/4 cups fat-free milk
- 1 package (8 ounces) reduced-fat cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup light chocolate syrup
- 1. In a saucepan, bring water and butter to a boil, stirring constantly until butter is melted. Reduce heat to low; add the flour. Stir vigorously with a wooden spoon until mixture leaves sides of pan and forms a smooth ball. Remove from the heat.
- 2. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition until the batter becomes smooth. Spread into a greased and floured 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 400° for 30 minutes or until puffed and golden. Immediately remove from pan and cut in half horizontally. Cool completely.
- 3. For filling, beat the pudding mix, milk and cream cheese in a bowl until smooth. Just before serving, place bottom eclair layer on a serving platter; cover with filling. Replace top layer and drizzle with chocolate syrup. Yield: 15 servings.
One serving (1 piece) equals 175 calories,312 mg sodium,65 mg cholesterol, 15 gm carbohydrate, 6 gm protein, 10 gm fat. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 fat, 1 starch.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC