Chocolate Easter Eggs
No store-bought Easter candy can compare to Mom's homemade chocolate-covered eggs. The heavenly centers have peanut butter, coconut and walnuts. These rich candies just melt in your mouth.
-Ruth Seitz, Columbus Junction, Iowa
24 ServingsPrep: 25 min. + chilling
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup chunky peanut butter
- 1-1/2 to 2 cups confectioners' sugar, divided
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and peanut butter until fluffy.
- Gradually add 1 cup confectioners' sugar and mix well. Stir in
- coconut and nuts.
- Turn peanut butter mixture onto a surface lightly dusted with some of
- the remaining confectioners' sugar; knead in enough of the remaining
- confectioners' sugar until mixture holds its shape when formed.
- Shape into small egg-shaped pieces. Cover and chill for 1 hour.
- In a microwave, melt chocolate chips and shortening; stir until
- smooth. Dip eggs; allow excess to drip off. Place on waxed paper;
- let stand until set. Chill. Yield: 2 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 204 calories, 14 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 5 mg cholesterol, 70 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 3 g protein.