Chocolate Easter Eggs Recipe
No store-bought Easter candy can compare to Mom's homemade chocolate-covered eggs. The heavenly centers have peanut butter, coconut and walnuts. These rich candies just melt in your mouth. -Ruth Seitz, Columbus Junction, Iowa
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. + chilling YIELD:24 servings
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup chunky peanut butter
- 1-1/2 to 2 cups confectioners' sugar, divided
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1. In a large bowl, cream the butter and peanut butter until fluffy. Gradually add 1 cup confectioners' sugar and mix well. Stir in coconut and nuts.
- 2. Turn peanut butter mixture onto a surface lightly dusted with some of the remaining confectioners' sugar; knead in enough of the remaining confectioners' sugar until mixture holds its shape when formed. Shape into small egg-shaped pieces. Cover and chill for 1 hour.
- 3. In a microwave, melt chocolate chips and shortening; stir until smooth. Dip eggs; allow excess to drip off. Place on waxed paper; let stand until set. Chill. Yield: 2 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 204 calories, 14 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 5 mg cholesterol, 70 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC