Although this gingerbread has amazing chocolate and spice flavors, it's even better with a plop of whipped cream on top. (Isn't everything?) — Preci D'Silva, Dubai
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, melted and slightly cooled
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- Chopped crystallized ginger and chocolate shavings, optional
- Preheat oven to 325°. In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg, then molasses, beating well after each addition.
- In another bowl, mix flour, baking powder, ground ginger, salt and cloves; gradually add to creamed mixture alternately with water, beating well after each addition.
- Pour half of the batter into a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Drizzle with half of the melted chocolate. Top with remaining batter and chocolate. Bake 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- For topping, in a small bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add confectioners' sugar and ginger; beat until soft peaks form. Serve with cake. If desired, sprinkle with crystallized ginger and chocolate shavings. Yield: 9 servings.
Originally published as Chocolate-Drizzled Gingerbread in Taste of Home October/November 2012, p95
Reviews for Chocolate-Drizzled Gingerbread
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review