Chocolate-Drizzled Cherry Bars
I've been making bars since I was in third grade, but these are special. I bake them for the church Christmas party every year... and folks always rave about them and ask for a copy of the recipe.
36 ServingsPrep: 35 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1-1/4 cups butter, softened
- 1 can (21 ounces) cherry pie filling
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 3/4 teaspoon shortening
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, oats, sugar and butter until
- crumbly. Set aside 1-1/2 cups for topping. Press remaining crumb
- mixture into an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Bake at
- 350° for 15-18 minutes or until edges begin to brown.
- In a small bowl, combine pie filling and extract; carefully spread
- over crust. Sprinkle with reserved crumb mixture. Bake 20-25 minutes
- longer or until edges and topping are lightly browned.
- In a microwave, melt chocolate chips and shortening; stir until
- smooth. Drizzle over warm bars. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Yield: 3 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 156 calories, 7 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 17 mg cholesterol, 68 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.