- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1-1/4 cups butter, softened
- 1 can (21 ounces) cherry pie filling
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 3/4 teaspoon shortening
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, oats, sugar and butter until crumbly. Set aside 1-1/2 cups for topping. Press remaining crumb mixture into an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Bake at 350° for 15-18 minutes or until edges begin to brown.
- In a small bowl, combine pie filling and extract; carefully spread over crust. Sprinkle with reserved crumb mixture. Bake 20-25 minutes longer or until edges and topping are lightly browned.
- In a microwave, melt chocolate chips and shortening; stir until smooth. Drizzle over warm bars. Cool completely on a wire rack. Yield: 3 dozen.
Reviews for Chocolate-Drizzled Cherry Bars
"a real keeper"
"I read through this recipe quickly and had an idea in my mind that the filling was chocolate mixed with cherries. When I came to make the bars, and read the recipe carefully, I was disappointed to find the chocolate was only drizzled on top. So I set about making them the way I had imagined them. I substituted Red Mill Extra Thick Rolled Oats for the quick oats by weight. I added 1/2 t. salt to the crust. I might increase that a little next time. In the filling I added 1 T. cherry concentrate, deleted the almond extract and added 6 oz. of bittersweet chocolate chips that I had pulverized in the food processor. I sprinkled chopped walnuts on top of the bars and I omitted the drizzle. They were excellent. I found it was best to store them in the refrigerator, but let them warm up to room temperature before eating them."
"These are good, but I like the chocolate cherry bars better"