I've been making bars since I was in third grade, but these are special. I bake them for the church Christmas party every year... and folks always rave about them and ask for a copy of the recipe.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1-1/4 cups butter, softened
- 1 can (21 ounces) cherry pie filling
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 3/4 teaspoon shortening
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, oats, sugar and butter until crumbly. Set aside 1-1/2 cups for topping. Press remaining crumb mixture into an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Bake at 350° for 15-18 minutes or until edges begin to brown.
- In a small bowl, combine pie filling and extract; carefully spread over crust. Sprinkle with reserved crumb mixture. Bake 20-25 minutes longer or until edges and topping are lightly browned.
- In a microwave, melt chocolate chips and shortening; stir until smooth. Drizzle over warm bars. Cool completely on a wire rack. Yield: 3 dozen.
Originally published as Chocolate-Drizzled Cherry Bars in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2003, p42
Reviews for Chocolate-Drizzled Cherry Bars
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review