Chocolate-Drizzled Baklava Recipe
This baklava makes a special gift and is also fun to put on a party planner. — Jesse Zipursky, San Ramon, California
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 1 hour Bake: 30 min. + standing YIELD:36 servings
- 1-2/3 cups finely chopped pecans
- 1-2/3 cups finely chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 24 sheets phyllo dough (14x9-inch size)
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup honey
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup (6 ounces) dark chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon shortening
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, mix the first six ingredients. Brush a 13x9-in. baking pan with some of the butter. Unroll phyllo dough; trim to fit into pan.
- 2. Layer six sheets of phyllo in prepared pan, brushing each with butter. Keep remaining phyllo covered with plastic wrap and a damp towel to prevent it from drying out. Sprinkle with a third of the nut mixture. Repeat layers twice. Top with remaining phyllo sheets, brushing each with butter.
- 3. Using a sharp knife, cut into 1-1/2-in. diamond shapes. Bake 30-35 minutes or until golden brown.
- 4. Meanwhile, in a saucepan, combine water, honey, sugar and cinnamon; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes. Stir in vanilla.
- 5. Pour over warm baklava. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack. Cover and let stand for several hours or overnight.
- 6. In a microwave, melt chocolate chips and shortening; stir until smooth. Drizzle over baklava; let stand until set. Yield: 3 dozen.
1 piece equals 213 calories, 14 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 13 mg cholesterol, 67 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC