Chocolate lovers will find these cute triple-chocolate goodies irresistible. Two luscious cookies, a yummy mousse-like filling and mini semisweet chips: mmmmmm.—Jill Papke, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
- 1 package chocolate cake mix (regular size)
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 cup milk chocolate chips
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, eggs, oil and vanilla; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes (mixture will be sticky).
- Drop by 2 tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto greased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 9-11 minutes or until edges are set. Cool for 2 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
- For filling, in a small saucepan, combine the sugar, flour and salt. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in chocolate chips until melted. Transfer to a small bowl; cover and refrigerate until chilled, about 1 hour.
- In a large bowl, beat the shortening and butter until fluffy. Beat in chocolate mixture and vanilla.
- Spread chocolate filling on the bottoms of half of the cookies, about 2 tablespoons on each; top with remaining cookies. Roll sides in miniature chocolate chips for garnish. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: about 1 dozen.
Originally published as Chocolate Dream Whoopie Pies in Taste of Home February/March 2011, p29
Reviews for Chocolate Dream Whoopie Pies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review