Chocolate-Dipped Strawberry Meringue Roses Recipe
Eat these kid-friendly treats as-is, or crush them into a bowl of strawberries and whipped cream. Readers of my blog, utry.it, went nuts when I posted that idea! —Amy Tong, Anaheim, California
- 3 large egg whites
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup freeze-dried strawberries
- 1 package (3 ounces) strawberry gelatin
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract, optional
- 1 cup 60% cacao bittersweet chocolate baking chips, melted
- 1. Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 225°.
- 2. Place sugar and strawberries in a food processor; process until powdery. Add gelatin; pulse to blend.
- 3. Beat egg whites on medium speed until foamy, adding vanilla if desired. Gradually add gelatin mixture, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high after each addition until sugar is dissolved. Continue beating until stiff glossy peaks form.
- 4. Cut a small hole in the tip of a pastry bag or in a corner of a food-safe plastic bag; insert a #1M star tip. Transfer meringue to bag. Pipe 2-in. roses 1-1/2 in. apart onto parchment paper-lined baking sheets.
- 5. Bake 40-45 minutes or until set and dry. Turn off oven (do not open oven door); leave meringues in oven 1-1/2 hours. Remove from oven; cool completely on baking sheets.
- 6. Remove meringues from paper. Dip bottoms in melted chocolate; allow excess to drip off. Place on waxed paper; let stand until set, about 45 minutes. Store in an airtight container at room temperature. Yield: 3-1/2 dozen.
1 cookie: 33 calories, 1g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 9mg sodium, 6g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1/2 starch.
Reviews for Chocolate-Dipped Strawberry Meringue Roses
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC