Chocolate-Dipped Pretzel Rods
Kids of all ages enjoy receiving these fun-to-eat treats for Christmas. Once the pretzels are wrapped with plastic wrap and ribbons, you can tuck them into stockings, tie them onto gifts or slip them inside a glass jar. — Kay Waters, Benld, Illinois
54 ServingsPrep: 25 min. + standing Cook: 10 min.
- 3 cups chopped toasted almonds
- 2 packages (14 ounces each) caramels, unwrapped
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) pretzel rods
- 2 packages (10 to 12 ounces each) white baking chips
- 2 packages (10 to 12 ounces each) dark chocolate chips
- Assorted sprinkles, optional
- Place almonds in a shallow dish. In a large glass measuring cup,
- microwave caramels and water on high until caramels are melted,
- stirring every minute.
- Dip three-fourths of each pretzel into caramel, allowing excess to
- drip off. (Reheat caramel in microwave if mixture becomes too thick
- for dipping.) Roll in almonds. Place on waxed paper until set.
- In a microwave, melt white baking chips; stir until smooth. Dip half
- of the caramel-coated pretzels in white baking chips, allowing
- excess to drip off. Add sprinkles if desired; return to waxed paper
- to set. Repeat with chocolate chips and remaining pretzels.
- Store in airtight containers or wrap in cellophane gift bags and tie
- with ribbon. Yield: about 4-1/2 dozen.